We don’t always want to wear a lot of foundation, particularly during the summer months. When it’s hot, we run the risk of sweat making our makeup slide off. Sweat also increases the risk of our pores clogging and breakouts occurring. Tinted moisturizer is often a better option during the Summer months.
What Is Tinted Moisturizer?
Nobody could blame you for being confused when it comes to makeup. There are so many products that the experts say we must wear to achieve the latest looks. The days when all we needed was a moisturizer, foundation, blush, and powder are long gone.
Nowadays, we have BB creams, CC creams, contouring products, and highlighters for our faces. But sometimes all you want to put on is a moisturizer and a hint of color. That’s where tinted moisturizers come in.
Tinted moisturizers contain ingredients such as humectants, iron oxides, and anti-oxidants. They moisturize your skin while adding a slight color to your face. Humectants are the ingredients that keep your face hydrated. They work like magnets and pull water from your second layer of skin up to your top layer.
The color in tinted moisturizers comes from the ingredient titanium oxide. A typical foundation consists of 14 to 15% titanium oxide, but a tinted moisturizer only contains around 3%. This color helps to even out your complexion but won’t cover blemishes or scars in the way that a good foundation does.
Why Should You Use A Tinted Moisturizer?
- Tinted moisturizers are easy and quick to apply. With foundation, you must ensure that it’s applied evenly so that you don’t end up with uneven patches here and the. Because tinted moisturizers contain a lot less color than foundation, there’s less risk of patchiness occurring.
- Tinted moisturizers come in a wide range of colors. As they’re used as an alternative to heavier foundations you will easily find one that’s a perfect match for your natural skin color.
- Possibly because they contain less pigmented ingredients, tinted moisturizers are often less expensive than foundations or BB creams.
How To Apply A Tinted Moisturizer
There’s always a right way and a wrong way to apply makeup and tinted moisturizers are no different. According to makeup artist Tim Quinn, you should choose your tinted moisturizer by your skin type rather than your skin color. If you suffer from breakouts, he suggests that you use an oil-free option.
Tinted moisturizers should be applied with the fingertips and in small amounts. Use as you would a traditional moisturizer and blend from the center of the face, outwards. You can cover up any small blemishes with concealer.
There’s no need to use powder over your tinted moisturizer as you want this to be a more natural look. If you feel like your face needs to be finished, try spritzing with a facial mist instead.
How We Chose Our Tinted Moisturizers
Customer comments are always an important consideration when reviewing any product. However, it must be noted that online reviews are opinions provided by users. What one person sees as a benefit, another person may see as a flaw.
We included a wide range of prices in our top 10 list to give you plenty of options. We also looked at what ingredients were used in the tinted moisturizers, the range of skin types each would suit, and the number of colors that are available from each brand.
Packaging was a minor consideration because we’re aware that most people don’t mind an ugly looking bottle if the product inside is of a high quality. Weight was also a minor consideration as that play a big part in shipping costs if you choose to buy your product online.
Finally, we also looked at the brand of tinted moisturizer. Lesser known brands were not automatically excluded from our list, if there was evidence that they are a reliable, or reputable company.
The Top 10 Best Tinted Moisturizers
Skin type: Dry and combination
Bobbie Brown are well-known for producing top of the line makeup products. This tinted moisturizing balm contains ingredients that reduce fine lines and wrinkles caused by ultraviolet rays from the sun. It blends easily and hydrates your skin without feeling greasy.
This product comes in seven different shades and three sizes. Online customer reviews are positive, particularly from women in the over 60’s age bracket. However, we did find some reviewers who stated that it stung a little when first applied. This is possibly due to the essential oils reacting to the skin, but at this price, it’s a flaw that needs to be mentioned.
Skin type: Oily
This tinted moisturizer comes in a 1.18oz tube so it’s a great size for traveling. It comes in 9 different shades including ginger, buttercream, and opal. The Complexion Rescue formula contains SPF30 which is great sunscreen coverage in a tube of this size.
The online reviews for this product all agree that it feels light on the face and will cover minor skin blemishes. As with the Bobbie Brown Extra SPF25, the over 60 age group love this product because it reduces the appearance of fine lines rather than enhancing them.
- This weightless, silky smooth tinted moisturizer with spf 18 offers sun protection.
- It helps improve the look of your skin tone and texture.
- Leaves you with a polished complexion.
Skin type: Normal
theBalm is a relatively new makeup brand that has only been on the market for eleven years. D However, the reviews of this product are mostly positive. One woman stated that although she loved this product at first, after a few days, her face broke out. It’s difficult to say that the moisturizer was the only factor though.
BalmShelter comes in seven different shades from lighter than light to after dark. The 2.15 fluid ounce tube it comes in is not the most attractive on our list, but that may not be a problem for many of us. The SPF is only 118 however, so if you have very light skin we suggest you use a sunscreen underneath this moisturizer.
- Which skin type is it good for? Normal Oily Combination Dry Sensitive
- What it is: A weightless skin tint that imparts buildable color while protecting against sun, pollution, and...
- Solutions for: - Uneven skin tone
Skin type: All
This 1oz bottle looks like it belongs in your medicine cabinet rather than on your dresser, but the high sunscreen factor makes up for this. Although it only comes in four shades, we’ve included it on our list because those four shades are quite varied in color.
The online reviews for this tinted moisturizer are mostly positive with only one person stating that it made her face breakout. One reviewer used a powder over the top of this product which may have helped them to achieve the right shade.
- Infused with lush, naturally-derived ingredients, this lightweight tinted moisturizer immediately helps thirsty skin...
- A lightweight tinted moisturizer that evens skintone and provides a translucent veil of protection.
Skin type: All
This oil-free formula offers a range of eleven shades and comes in a sleek-looking black 1.9oz tube. It contains SPF30, seawater, and Kopara from French Polynesia. The reviews state that this product covers minor to medium blemishes.
Skin type: All
The online reviews for this tinted moisturizer are just as enthusiastic as the reviews for the more expensive products on our list. One reviewer was an 84-year old woman who said she loved this. Keep in mind that SPF15 is quite low, so you will need to use a sunscreen underneath it.
- INSTANTLY OBTAIN seemingly flawless, glowing skin. Perfect for that no-make up look.
- FORMULATED AS AN ALL-IN ONE SUNSCREEN AND FOUNDATION that provides sheer color coverage, minimizes the appearance of...
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND NON-GREASY FORMULA that improves your skin's hydration and texture over time.
Skin type: All
With SPF45, this is a sunscreen and moisturizer in one. It’s perfect for light skin and for people who spend a lot of time outdoors. Many online reviews state that you only need to use a little of the product at a time, so this one provides great value for money.
- Powerful SPF 30 rated UV protection
- Rehydrates with natural oils, which moisturize under the sun
- Refreshing, Moisturizing & Protects Against UV Damage
Skin type: All
This Simply Dana tinted moisturizer offers three different colors and comes in a simple but classy 2oz tube. The sunscreen protection factor is 30, so getting outdoors is not a problem with this.
The online reviews are mainly positive with many people mentioning that they can’t wear sunscreen but find that this moisturizer is fine. It’s also worth mentioning that some reviewers stated the moisturizer looked dark but lightened up when applied to the skin.
- All our fragrances are 100% originals by their original designers. We do not sell any knockoffs or imitations.
- Packaging for this product may vary from that shown in the image above.
- We offer many great sales and discounts making this fragrance cheaper than at department stores.
Skin type: All
The Daywear sheer tint contains SPF15, so you will need to wear a sunscreen underneath it. The tint in this unique formula does not appear on the skin until it has been blended in. the online reviewers state that it feels lovely on the skin, but some believed the price was too expensive.
- Mineral-enriched lightweight tinted moisturizer evens skin tone and improves skin radiance.
- Provides a translucent veil of protection with antioxidant vitamins and Broad Spectrum SPF 20 sun protection.
- Soft and smooth to the touch, skin looks natural and glowing.
Skin type: All
This tinted moisturizer is a good price and offers four different colors. It comes in a 1 fluid ounce tube with a pump, making it easy to use. Beauty Rules products are made in New York city and are cruelty-free.
Our Verdict On The Best Tinted Moisturizers
Although you can always apply sunscreen before your tinted moisturizer, one that already has a sun protection factor is a better option. The DRMTLGY anti-aging tinted moisturizer is the one on our list with the highest SPF and at $14.00 it’s also a great price.
The beauty of a tinted moisturizer with a sun protection factor is that it will get you out of the door quicker as you only need to apply one product to your skin. A good tinted moisturizer can take the place of a sunscreen, foundation and a powder.
As is often the case, the most expensive moisturizers are not necessarily the better ones. The No7 and Beauty Rules moisturizers received just as many positive reviews as the Estee Lauder and Bobbi Brown ones.
We found that the cheaper brands on our list of best tinted moisturizers did not have as wide a range of shades as the more expensive. However, tinted moisturizers are not eyeshadows and you will probably only want to use one shade, no matter how many options you have.
Final Thoughts On Tinted Moisturizers
Tinted Moisturizers are a lighter alternative to heavy foundations. They’re particularly useful in the Summer months or if you suffer from frequent breakouts. All the products on our list are cruelty free and ethically manufactured. They’re also a good idea for girls or young women who are just beginning to use makeup.